Bread made with five ingredients and ready in less than an hour.
Servings: Approximately 6-8 slices
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup unflavored whey protein isolate powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder (or substitute)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup ricotta (cottage cheese or cream cheese also work)
- 2 eggs
- No fibre
- Contains moderate FODMAPs (lactose)
- Preheat oven to 180c/356f.
- Line a loaf pan with baking paper. These are the dimensions of my pan: 7cm (H) x 14cm (W ) x 24cm (D). Note that the shorter the pan, the taller the bread and the longer the baking time.
- Melt mozzarella cheese and ricotta in microwave.
- Combine with eggs in a large bowl and mix.
- Add protein powder and baking powder, mix.
- Pour mixture into the pan, place on lower rack of oven.
- Bake until golden brown on top, approximately 20 minutes.
- The real trick is to not overcook the bread, when doing the knife test it shouldn’t come out totally clean, you want a bit of moisture.
- Place on cooling rack, can be sliced and consumed after a few minutes.
- Refrigerate and best used within three days.
I’m continually experimenting with carnivore breads, trying to make a recipe that is cheap, quick, easy, requires few ingredients and yields consistent results. This one was inspired by fathead dough and yet it doesn’t really taste cheesy. No eggy taste either. It might be the closest I’ve come to something that tastes and feels like conventional bread. Unlike my ricotta bread recipe, which is best after refrigeration, the mozzarella bread is ready to be eaten immediately. It is very moist, so if you leave it in the oven a little too long it doesn’t become unbearably dry.
I use a convection oven, if you’re using one as well it’s 160c/320f for about 15 minutes.