A low carb alternative to pancakes.
Servings: Approximately 8 slices
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Nutritional Information (entire loaf):
- Calories: 854
- Fat: 27g
- Protein: 127g
- Carbs: 25g
- Sugar: 18g
- Fibre: 1g
- Contains dairy
- Contains eggs
- Low FODMAP (other than lactose).
- Low fibre
- 1/2 cup whey protein isolate powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp ricotta*
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 tbsp sweetener of choice (optional)
- Pinch of salt
*Ricotta can be substituted with cream cheese or mascarpone.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Melt butter in a bread tin.
- Combine all ingredients and mix.
- Pour batter into bread tin and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Can be served immediately or refrigerated for later.
- Batter can be fried in a pan as well.
I’ve tried various keto pancake recipes and I haven’t been impressed, coconut flour and almond flour have very distinct flavours and they also tend to be too dry. Pure unflavoured protein powder turns out to be a perfect flour substitute for keto and carnivore recipes. I find the milk adds enough sweetness that I don’t need to add sweeteners, but it all depends on your taste buds. I am on the carnivore diet now, but I do still make this recipe on occasion as a treat, it’s not a bad birthday cake.